Facebook

m/sShare on Facebook

About Me

My photo
Corfu, Greece
Liana Metal lives in Greece, on the island of Corfu. She is an EFL teacher(MAEd -Applied Linguistics), book reviewer and freelance writer. Liana is also an artist. Her drawings/paintings can be found both online at www.aggelia-online.gr and at several shops in Corfu town. To contact the artist visit http://LianaMetal.tripod.com or her blog at http://LianasKerkyra.blogspot.com Η Ηλιάνα Μεταλληνού διδάσκει Αγγλικά στην Κέρκυρα, γράφει άρθρα και ιστορίες για έντυπες και ηλεκτρονικές εκδόσεις σε όλο τον κόσμο και ζωγραφίζει. Μπορείτε να την επισκεφθείτε στην ηλεκτρονική διεύθυνση http://toasprosaligari.blogspot.com και http://www.coffeetimecorfu.com

Storytime

Storytime
A book for kids/ 3 stories in English

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Harry Gilleland comes back...

Harry is back!

Today, you can view his latest book,

The Poetic Musings of an Old Fat Man.

You can also read a sample of Harry's poetry here:




My Yesterdays

My yesterdays
stretch out behind me
in a winding path that
disappears over the horizon
beyond my memory.

Some yesterdays were
red-letter days of triumph
and personal joy, days of
some momentous occasion
in my life. Others were black
days of pain and suffering.
Most were merely plain,
unremarkable days
of no particular note.
All have melded together
forming the memories
marking the passage
of my existence on Earth.

I treasure all my yesterdays
since each day was a brick
that contributed to building
the mosaic of my life.
My yesterdays carried me
up the long hill to today,
where I stand looking wistfully
back at them, my yesterdays…
knowing now my yesterdays
outnumber my tomorrows.

I’ve learned I should endeavor
to make each today become
a shining, glorious yesterday,
for my yesterdays are
how my life was spent.

“It” Being…

“It” can run rampant through the countryside,
easily jumping over the neighbor’s fence.
At the office “it” lurks and sneaks around,
making those at the water cooler laugh and wince.
With e-mail, it rapidly circulates far and wide,
although “its” initial source rarely can be found.

Those carrying and spreading “it” usually aren’t harmed,
while “its” victims suffer in ignorance, usually in the dark.
Whether “it” is true or false matters rather little to most,
since passing “it’ on adds to their humdrum lives a spark.
Hard to stop, harder to kill, “its” many lives seem charmed.
You can help by, if getting “it”, becoming a terminal host.


EXCERPTS from REVIEWS:

Thoughtful, funny, & full of wisdom …I thoroughly enjoyed "Poetic Musings of an Old, Fat Man" from start to end. I was a little surprised at my reaction to this book, because while I enjoy poems, I am usually not as enthusiastic about books of poetry as I was about this compilation. The third collection by this author is definitely one not to miss reading. Harry Gilleland is a very talented writer, … The collection of poems includes stories about every aspect of life. Some of the poems left me with tears in my eyes, while others had me laughing about life's lighter side.I applaud Gilleland on creating such a well written, thought provoking book. It is one that I will definitely read again. I highly recommend "Poetic Musing of an Old, Fat Man" to anyone who is looking for an enjoyable book to read this summer or for someone who is looking for a gift to buy for that person who has everything.” By Cherie Fisher for Reader Views

One of the true purposes of poetry for a reader is not just to discover what the poet was intending to convey, but to find how you relate to the poem. Gilleland does a superb job of presenting an array of poems that are easy to understand and will certainly capture the attention, and the heart, of every reader. …. Verse after verse, this poet is to be commended for his true talent with words.” By Shannon L. Yarbrough

“Harry Gilleland often uses his storoems and poems to reveal life in its glory and its despair. This collection is not different. … ‘Poetic Musings of an Old, Fat Man’ offers something for every one in over 150 pages, which contain rhyming poems and storoems, two limericks, acrostic poems, and free verse poems.” By Vivian Zabel

“All in all, I highly recommend this book. Not only will the poems entertain you, but they will also stimulate your mind, as you begin to ponder some of the lessons they put forth. … Very insightful!” By Kristina N. Fountain

This book illustrates my point that seniors should consider expressing their lives and their thoughts in poetic form. This book provides an interesting tour through the author's mind. … Gilleland's observations about life … ring true.” By Marlys M. Styne

These are poems that often feel like having a light bulb switched on in your brain and after reading the poem you unconsciously cry out ‘eureka!’…

Probably one of the most outstanding qualities of Gilleland's poetry is his ability in proving that any topic or theme, if handled skillfully, can be transferred into persuasive poetry. This is effectuated with his balancing of his personal convictions and fervour with imaginative meticulousness that speaks to us at another level and touches us in a similar way as music. Moreover, Gilleland employs very little ornamentation in his poetry, which is one of the prime reasons why they contain meaningful content that leave a lasting impression. … Most of poems have a conversational rhythm containing a great deal of bluntness and a clear expression of emotions that brilliantly portray the work of a mature self-confident gentleman who knows what life is all about.” By

Norm Goldman, Publisher & Editor Bookpleasures

I must admit that poetry is not my favorite medium. Too often the author rambles on, not conveying his/her point. However, ‘Poetic Musings of an Old, Fat, Man’ is an awesome book. Harry E. Gilleland, Jr. has a talent for poetry. He conveys his message with a unique style that is easy to understand and that brings emotion to his readers. I was hooked from the first poem, … I will long cherish ‘Poetic Musings of an Old, Fat, Man’ and highly recommend it to others.” By Debra Gaynor for ReviewYourBook.com

I have to admit when I first saw the cover of the book I wasn't too intrigued. However, the old adage holds true to not judge a book by its cover. Once I started reading the book I was hooked. Gilleland's writing is very readable and thought-provoking. … ‘Poetic Musings of an Old, Fat Man’ definitely has something for everyone and, if you enjoy stimulating writing, then I highly recommend this collection!” By

Kam Aures for RebeccasReads

COMPLETE REVIEWS for PMOOFM:

5.0 out of 5 starsThe Poetic Musings of Harry Gilleland Speak Words To Us All!, September 28, 2008

By

Shannon L. Yarbrough "Shannon L. Yarbrough" (St. Louis, MO USA)

I was a poet long before I was a novelist or book reviewer. My first self-published book was a pop up book of poetry which was literally assembled by hand in the 4th grade for a young author's grade school event. In college, I continued to write poetry and fell in love with the words of Frost and Dickinson. Having only recently rekindled my affair with Miss Emily's words, I was eager to read more verse and from a fresh new voice. I'd had much success with the poetry I've reviewed here on the blog to date, so I knew Lulu was the perfect place to start. I didn't have to look far. Poet Harry Gilleland, Jr. had quieried us some time ago with his third collection of poetry entitled Poetic Musings of an Old, Fat Man.

Based on the title alone, I was expecting a book of humorous limericks and rhyming political commentary, and while there are a few of those within the pages, Gilleland offers much more than that. I was completely amazed at his vast but thorough range of subject matter. From a poem about the candiru fish (which is known to lodge itself inside someone's urethra) to another about a pack of vicious ankle biting chihuahuas, Gilleland treats his subject matter with the utmost seriousness. The rhyming technique, verse, and pattern which he uses to craft his so-called "storoems" (story poems) is so unique that you almost forget the humor just for the appreciation of his word use.

The book is divided into four styles of poetry: rhyming and storeoms, limericks (of which there are only two), acrostic poems, and free verse. Gilleland has broken up the candid poems with other verses that are indeed of a more serious subject matter such has having to put a pet to sleep or a child dealing with the divorce of his parents. But his crisp style remains tight and to the point throughout. There are no wasted words, as one of my college professors used to say.

One of the true purposes of poetry for a reader is not just to discover what the poet was intending to convey, but to find how you relate to the poem. Gilleland does a superb job of presenting an array of poems that are easy to understand and will certainly capture the attention, and the heart, of every reader. Some of his well-known subjects came right from the headlines such as the tiger attacks in the California zoo or the effects Hurricane Katrina had on New Orleans. Like conversations we share with old friends, these are events that each of us know in a different way but it's still nice to take the time to listen to someone else's view point.

I particularly liked the sections where Gilleland spends two or three poems on one specific theme. There are two poems about his dogs near the beginning. One is a cheerful poem while the other is very sad. There's another about a soldier having to leave for war, followed by another poem about the soldier in battle, then one about a soldier's death and another about Memorial Day. Each poem can stand completely on its own, but together they capture a nice vignette of words and thoughts.

My favorites were two poems about Hummingbirds. In one, Gilleland ponders the thought of the birds leaving for winter and how he anticipates their return because it means warmer weather will be returning with them. The next poem is about a daughter promising her dying mother she'll continue to feed the hummingbirds after she's gone. The appearance of a white hummingbird becomes the vision of hope and healing after a tragic event.

At 63 years of age and an old Southerner, Gilleland also ponders how the world and technology has changed our social interaction with one another in magnificent poems entitled "I Remember When" and "The Pleasure of Old-Fashioned Letters." His good nature shines in fun verse about women obsessing over their hair, and in another play on words about a man wanting to rub cream on his wife's hard and cracked "pair" in a poem called "Can't Touch Them."

Verse after verse, this poet is to be commended for his true talent with words. I dog eared a dozen pages to possibly quote in this review, but the book must really be experienced as a whole. But you don't have to take my word for it. Just read the number of reviews of praise Harry's books have already received on Amazon.com before me. Even if you don't like poetry all that much or find it hard to understand, Harry Gilleland, Jr. writes with such heart that there is truly something here for everyone. I will leave you with one verse that still resonates with me long after I closed this book...

If humans were able to see their soul
while alive, it would become certain then
that all the virtues they would extol;
the world would be filled with better men.

Purchase Information for :

Poetic Musings of an Old, Fat Man

From Publisher: http://www.lulu.com/content/2057931

From Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-Musings-Old-Fat-Man/dp/1435712420/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210286150&sr=1-4

From Barnes & Noble: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=poetic+musings+of+an+old%2C+fat+man


11 comments:

Liana said...

Thank you Harry for being with us! It was a great pleasure to host you.
I wish you every success!
Liana

Harry Gilleland said...

I thank you, Liana, for doing such a wonderful job of hosting me. I truly appreciate all your efforts in my behalf.

Cheers!

Harry

Vivian Zabel said...

Ah, Harry, two of my favorite of my favorite poems by you.

"It" must be gossip.

Nancy Famolari said...

Wonderful poems. Liana, thanks for sharing Harry's work with us. It's very special.

Liana said...

Vivian and Nancy,
thank you for your comments.

Harry,
you are always welcome.

All the best,
Liana

Donna McDine said...

Harry:

Terrific poem. You hit the essence of life right on the head. Well done.

Regards,
Donna M. McDine
Marketing Manager, SFC Magazine
SFC: Families Matter Blog
SFC Magazine Website

Unknown said...

How I wish I had an inkling what makes for good or bad poetry, but I don't. What I do know, however, is that I so enjoyed Harry's poetry and that's saying a mouthful for those who know me and my 'love' for poetry. :)

Unknown said...

Harry, I love your poem, Yesterdays. Continued success!

Harry Gilleland said...

Vivian, yes, 'Its' referring to gossip. Thanks for the comment.

Cheers!

Harry

Harry Gilleland said...

Nancy, thank you for your comment.

Donna, I'm pleased you liked the poem. Thanks for commenting.

Lea, I am so pleased that you liked my poery. What makes good poetry is that the reader derives pleasure from having read it! I appreciate your comment.

Kathy, I am glad you enjoyed my poem. Thank you for your comments.

Cheers!

Harry

Liana said...

Thank you all so much for visiting! Harry deserves your attention!
Liana